Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

My Writing Process

When people talk about how someone writes they speak of pantser and outliners. Everyone falls somewhere within this spectrum. The extreme side of pantsing is where someone writes, not knowing where you’re going or where you’re headed. All the way on the other side is outliners. They research and detail everything that will happen before a words of the story is written.

Me, I’m a combination of both, which I believe is where most fall. I’m by far an expert, I’m just telling you how I work through my process.

First, a spark of an idea occurs. I may be watching tv, reading an article, spot something online or even casually talking to someone. However it comes, I make sure I write it done. Yes I’m one of those forgetful people. Ideas, thoughts, images come and go quickly and if one gets my attention, it has to be written.

Once that spark lights up and I think, (sometimes out loud). “That would make a good story.” I write one or two sentences, at times up to a paragraph. Whatever it takes to get the main concept down. 

Next, I normally let the idea stew for a while to make sure the story sticks and keeps my interest. The scenes will develop and I see them in play out in my mind.

Then, I will sit down and write. I write everything I can think about. It could end up only being a few pages or as many as a hundred. As long as the entire story is down from beginning to end. I don’t worry about chapters or the progression of the plot. I write the scene and decide where all those go later.

Finally, at this point is when I outline. I open an excel spreadsheet and plug in the information of each scene. I can now see where I am and where I need to go. I brainstorm and come up with more issues that will happen to my characters or scene to move the issue forward and eventually bring resolve.

Everyone has their own process and as you learn, your process may change. It’s okay, it’s natural. When I first started, I wrote. I didn’t know what I was doing. I was just getting the words on the page. 

I realized I needed to be more organized so I did what I knew and opened excel. That's when I was able to see the plot points and work to make sure I was keeping the tension interesting.

Writing is a learning process. Keep writing and keep reading.

Image result for lots of ideas writing gif

No comments:

Post a Comment